Grip rite framer acting up

8 years 3 weeks ago #1496 by Mikek2111987
Grip rite framer acting up was created by Mikek2111987
Hello, a while back I bought a lightly used grip rite grtch350 framing nailer. The previous owner said it had been recently rebuilt, it worked great on a doghouse and shed project, but now it's starting to act up. Sometimes air Will leak out of the trigger, sometimes it will fire a nail, sometimes it will drive the piston but not fire a nail.

Any ideas? It is properly oiled.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 3 weeks ago #1498 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Grip rite framer acting up
Thanks for the post!

By the way, I've attached the manual for this Nailer below, which does have some helpful trouble shooting info and a full parts breakdown with parts list.

As for nailer not driving a nail when it operates, this is probably due to either 1) wrong type of nails or 2) the nails are jammed in the magazine or the ribbon spring that puts pressure on the nails is defective.

If air constantly leaks out of the trigger area when you connect the air coupler to the nailer, most likely there are leaky seals/o-rings on the trigger valve/mechanism causing this.

I would remove the trigger valve/mechanism and check all o-rings for tears and damage. Make sure all seals and o-rings are properly lubricated and there is no debris/grit on any of the components. The nailer may just need a good cleaning.

- MTR
Attachments:

8 years 1 day ago #1541 by Mikek2111987
Replied by Mikek2111987 on topic Grip rite framer acting up
Thanks for the response!

So I took it apart and everything was pretty clean, and the o rings looked good. I put it back together and have everything set as it should be per factory (nails, psi, etc). The gun will now hiss from the trigger, but if i continue to hold the trigger it will partially drive a nail and buck the gun off the stud. The depth setting is maxed out.

Ideas?

8 years 20 hours ago - 8 years 19 hours ago #1542 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Grip rite framer acting up
Did you remove the o-rings in the trigger and inspect them? Typically trigger leaks are due to these specific o-rings.

Also, if it has not been used in the past few months from the previous project, sounds as if the o-rings have shrunk due to drying out, thus not allowing the head valve to operate properly which would cause the symptoms described.

Lack of use is the worst thing you can do for a nailer. They need to be pulled out, a couple of drops of oil inserted in the end and fired every month or so.

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds