speed aire 5Z641 compressor not working right

7 years 3 months ago #1986 by hellinger50
I have a speed aire model 5Z641 compressor with a 5F226A2 tank. I used it the other day and the pressure switch didn't shut it down and I don't know how long it ran constantly. I shut it off and it sounded like the oil was boiling. It turned freely. I started it yesterday and let it pump up to about 80 lbs. The oil still sounded like it was boiling. I tried to pump up a tire on my truck and needed more air. Went to turn it back on and wouldn't turn, shut breaker off. Oil still sounds like boiling. Let it set and took belt of and turned it over by hand, moved somewhat freely, not really hard. What could be wrong? Also, how do get the flywheel off. Used every puller I have just doesn't seem to want move. It was new in 94-96. Any help appreciated, Thanks, Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 3 months ago #1988 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic speed aire 5Z641 compressor not working right
First, I would change out the oil. Depending on how long it was constantly running, the oil could have certainly starting boiling as it exceeded its maximum temperature.

I would drain it and add a good synthetic compressor oil or partial synthetic compressor oil. These oils (at the link below) operate in a broader temperature range than standard compressor oils.

www.mastertoolrepair.com/synthetic-synth...essor-oil-p-733.html

In regards to the Flywheel removal, it's much easier if you take a propane torch to the flywheel hub for a few minutes. Once it has expanded, it should certainly be easier to remove. You're on the right track....take your bearing pullers (to the back of the hub, not the fins!) with an impact wrench and try to remove it. This is the best method to use; if it still doesn't want to budge, add more heat and try again. I hope this helps.

- MTR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds