Should I buy a new motor for an old '94 compressor

7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #1869 by three4rd
Hi,

I have an old Sears 1 HP air compressor model 919-15039. I believe the motor needs to be replaced since when I run it I can see sparks flying around inside, plus it smells like something burning and the air pressure and speed of the motor fluctuates. I have no guarantee, of course, that the motor is the problem but it seems likely.

Buying a new motor for the old compressor costs anywhere between $219 - 300, whereas I have found a new Nelson-Cable compressor that looks good (gets real good reviews anyway) for only $126. Given that it seems new appliances, etc. are often not made as well as older ones and often don't last as long, I've been vacillating between fixing the old Sears or buying the new Nelson. Cost-wise, it's a no brainer, but I'm more concerned about durability. The new motor does not come with a belt., so I'd need to transfer over my old belt (which is in great shape) or buy a new belt. I've never had a compressor with a tank on it before. My old one is essentially just the top part of many of these pancake compressors I've been researching. I like the old one since it so small. It's entirely possible I may really like having a pancake compressor however.

Any suggestions? The other issue is that I need a compressor fairly soon and ordering the new motor could wind up being a longer lead / shipping time than I can afford right now. I could wind up putting in the new motor and still have issues with the Sears since everything in there is also 22 years old. The end bell assembly in that Sears is sure a heavy duty and solid unit. I'm wondering if the motors in the newer ones are even all metal like mine appears to be?

Thanks for any ideas....gotta decide very soon on which way to go. I can get the new one fairly quickly through Amazon or many other sites.

Regards,
Keith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 6 months ago #1870 by MTR-Admin
Thanks for the post Keith,

I'll put my $0.02 in before others post, but I would purchase a new air compressor.

As far as I can tell, this Motor/Pump Assy isn't even available any longer. I've checked with DeVilbiss as well (who makes this unit for Sears) and according to them it's obsolete.

www.searspartsdirect.com/model-number/91...90/0247/0703000.html

It's not worth the repair even if it was available, to be honest. What I would recommend is finding a solid pancake air compressor made by Campbell Hausfeld or Coleman Powermate; these are solid units with cast metal Motor/Pump assemblies, parts are available and they're in the $250 price range.

You could spend more, of course, but you could also spend a lot less and get an inferior product. I'm not too familiar with Nelson Cable so I can't attest to the quality of longevity of their air compressors, but it may be a good idea to step up to a Campbell or Coleman unit.

Feel free to reply if you have any additional questions.

- MTR

7 years 4 months ago #1983 by EthanWilliam
Replied by EthanWilliam on topic Should I buy a new motor for an old '94 compressor
I would go with the above suggestion that a new one seems to be the more sensible choice in this situation. Since durability is your primary concern, and there are quite a few brands that produce compressors that fit your need. They also tend to use more modern technology that, if nothing else, pulls less power than the older ones. Check this online compressor store, for instance.

You can compare compressor specs and even get great deals and local service when you buy from here. I see a Thomas Pancake compressor that seems like a good investment, and this Powermate compressor.

Don’t rush into it though - assess your options, read some reviews, and then pick the one that works best.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds