Craftsman 921.165720 air compressor

7 years 7 months ago #1829 by catapultman3
Craftsman 921.165720 air compressor was created by catapultman3
I am trying to help my son-in-law over the phone (he is 700 miles away). He is trying to separate the plastic cover on top of this compressor. He says the attaching screws are recessed and he can't really see which screwdriver to use. Whatever he has isn't working and he doesn't want to damage the screw heads.

The parts breakdown gives a screw part number of "E106614".

On this 921.165720 compressor can someone please tell me what type and size of screwdriver to use on the cover screws? Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 7 months ago #1831 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Craftsman 921.165720 air compressor
Thanks for the post!

I'm not 100% positive but I believe they're "Torx" screws, which are also called "star" bits. It may be a T15 or T20 size.

I've attached a pic of a Torx screw and screwdriver for reference.

These are commonly used on units nowadays so I would bet this is the type of fastener used. He should be able to shine a flashlight in the recess to confirm.

If you still need more info I'm sure I could contact a rep with the manufacturer to confirm.

- MTR
Attachments:

7 years 7 months ago #1833 by catapultman3
Replied by catapultman3 on topic Craftsman 921.165720 air compressor
Thank you for your quick reply. When I saw a picture of the screw I thought it was a "torx" head myself. He is away on business for 3 weeks, but I'll tell him to give it a try with a torx tip when he gets home. He said the screw head was recessed, so maybe he just didn't get a good bite angle on the screw head. Thanks, again.

Mike

7 years 7 months ago #1839 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Craftsman 921.165720 air compressor
Glad to help, feel free to post his findings here once he gets in there!

- MTR

7 years 7 months ago #1841 by mr.brailey
Replied by mr.brailey on topic Craftsman 921.165720 air compressor
Your son-in-law won't be able to remove the two lower left side screws unless he can find a really long T20 screw driver. I just solved this problem with a trip to my ACE hardware store. Purchase the screwdriver bit #2135267. It's 3.5 inches long so it will need the magnetic bit holder 1\4in. shank #2135168. Both ACE brand. I went to Sears first, but they were unable to help. Vet's Hardware in Lansing Michigan is the best hardware in town!
The following user(s) said Thank You: catapultman3

7 years 7 months ago #1842 by catapultman3
Replied by catapultman3 on topic Craftsman 921.165720 air compressor
Thank you, Mr. Brailey, I will pass on this information. I truly appreciate this information, as not being there to see what he's up against makes it difficult to help.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds