Older compressor help

8 years 5 months ago #1324 by Kb3gup
Older compressor help was created by Kb3gup
Hello all,

I have a Sanborn model M165BL500-30VP compressor and am looking for the manual for it, or at least what kind of oil it takes (if it's different from normal compressor oil) this has been in my parents garage for years, they used to use it for their business but it's been sitting for years. It turns on and pumps air and seems ok but I'd like to do a "tune up" on it and use it for my air tools. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 5 months ago #1326 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Older compressor help
Thanks for the post!

This is a solid unit, and it should take little to tune it up so it runs well. We recommend straight 30-weight air compressor oil, or a synthetic or synthetic blend air compressor oil. All air compressor oil is NON-detergent, which is necessary.
You can find air compressor oils on our site by clicking the below link:

www.mastertoolrepair.com/synthetic-synth...essor-oil-p-733.html

You can also view the parts schematic and parts list for this compressor on our site by clicking the below link:

www.mastertoolrepair.com/air-compressor-...-25-m165-p-1934.html

I would simply make sure the air filter is clean (or replace if missing), make sure the belt is aligned on the pulley and flywheel, which no more than 1/2" of deflection when you press down on it.

Hopefully the valves are in good shape and aren't rusted. You can remove the Belt and the main Supply (Discharge) Tube and turn the pump flywheel by hand to confirm it has compression; you should be able to feel resistance, of course (as it compresses and goes through its stroke), but you should certainly be able to turn it by hand.

If all is well and you have no leaks and no moisture in the tank, then you're good to go!

Feel free to reply with any additional questions or concerns.

- MTR
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kb3gup

8 years 5 months ago #1331 by Kb3gup
Replied by Kb3gup on topic Older compressor help
Thanks for the reply and the help!!!!! Hopefully early this coming week I can start working on it and will order new oil and a air filter and whatever else it needs. I'll post updates and I'm sure I'll have more questions haha. Does this forum support posting of pictures? I didn't see an attachment link?

8 years 5 months ago #1334 by MTR-Admin
You can certainly upload a photo or video if you would like.

Just click "Reply" (not "Quick Reply") and below the area where you would type your reply you will see "Attachments". Just click "Add File" and you can choose any number of files to attach.

- MTR

8 years 4 months ago #1342 by Kb3gup
Replied by Kb3gup on topic Older compressor help
Thanks.. I've noticed when it runs it won't shut off, the release valve opens and drains the tank. I know there's a sensor or pressure plate or something that tells the motor the tank is full and to shut off/turn on. What is this part called and do you know where it's located? I plan on ordering oil and a new air filter, which by the way is the new "mesh" type I believe your video called it. I just would like to order everything at once.

8 years 4 months ago #1343 by MTR-Admin
That's the on/off Pressure Switch that you need. It's the electrical/pneumatic "brain" of the compressor that controls the cut on and cut off PSI of the unit. It's what the motor and power cords are wired to.

This unit had a couple of different set-ups, can you upload a photo of your compressor, and the pressure switch?

You can view one style by clicking on the below link:

www.mastertoolrepair.com/air-compressor-...-25-m165-p-1934.html

...and the other style is located below:

www.mastertoolrepair.com/regulator-parts...-104b200-p-3197.html

Which set-up does your most resemble? This will nail down the pressure switch you need. Also, there is an OEM part# on the pressure switch starting with "034-xxxx", it should look something like "034-0097". This should be on a white sticker either on the cast manifold, right below where the wiring goes into the switch, or inside the black plastic pressure switch cover.

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds