Rigid GP90135 Gas Powered Compressor

8 years 7 months ago #1176 by paintballdude05
Replied by paintballdude05 on topic Rigid GP90135 Gas Powered Compressor
I guess I'll have to keep the order under $100, or make two of them!

The air coming out of the Toggle & Rivet was pretty substantial, but that might be because the valve isn't tuned right.

The regulator seems to only leak when you start filling the tank from empty. Once it starts to leak, I can twist the adjustment knob back both ways a few turns and it stops. Since the new replacement part comes with the gauges (one of mine are dammaged), $56 for the whole assembly isn't too bad for what you're getting.

My dipstick is the push-in style. The previous owner broke it and it looks like he wrapped it in duct tape to put it back together.

Once I can see that the compressor is running right, I'm hoping to strip it down to the bare tanks, clean it really good and give it a new coat of paint. It should look much better than the faded orange paint that's on it now. I just don't want to put too much money and time into it if I can't make it work.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 7 months ago #1177 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Rigid GP90135 Gas Powered Compressor
Sounds good! Yes, if your gauge is defective anyway, the whole manifold assy is a good deal.

Hopefully you'll have the unit running like new soon, feel free to post pics once you do!

- MTR

8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #1195 by paintballdude05
I tried adjusting the pilot valve last weekend, it didn't go too well. Tried for about 30 minutes to get it right, and it just wouldn't happen. I'm giving it one more try, if that doesn't work I'll be buying a new assembly.

Either way, here are some before pictures for the record. It's rough, but it pumps air! The yellow tube on the pump is just an extension for now, until I get a new dipstick. There was a lot of oil being spilt without it.

8 years 7 months ago #1197 by MTR-Admin
Hey, as long as the tanks are solid and don't leak, and the engine runs then you have yourself a solid unit there. It's hard to kill those Honda GX engines, they're pretty bullet-proof.

You may need to replace the Pilot Valve but once you do, I'd imagine the unit will pump like new as long as you get suction from the intake filter; good suction means good valves.

- MTR

8 years 2 weeks ago #1522 by paintballdude05
I figured I should bring some closure to this thread for those interested. I ended up fixing up the compressor and giving it a new lease on life after a fair amount of new parts and lots of labour. On top of the stuff previously mentioned, I replaced the Tank Drains, Rubber Feet, Pilot Valve, Compressor Pump Dipstick, Regulator Assembly and finally the Throttle Control Cable. I found out that the Throttle Control Cable was the route cause of all my issues that since I still couldn't get it to run right even with the new pilot valve. I think the throttle control was binding up somehow.

Once I knew the mechanicals were okay, I stripped it down and degreased everything and prepared the tank for paint. It took about 4 cans of paint to get some good thick coverage

And here's the final product, the thing ran like a top and looked pretty damn good. I ended up selling it since I was saving up for a down payment on a mortgage and couldn't justify keeping. I ended up making a nice profit and really enjoyed working on it.

MTR: Thanks for your help and insight throughout this project! However, I have to apologize for not buying the repair parts from your guys. With the way the Canadian Dollar is doing right now buying locally is actually making sense now days (well, until their pricing catches up of course). I hope this thread inspires others to perform their own repairs using your parts!
The following user(s) said Thank You: MTR-Admin

8 years 2 weeks ago #1523 by MTR-Admin
She's a beaut! Excellent job with the restoration. It looks brand new apart from the minor scratches on the Honda engine!

It's a nice feeling to do the work, and see the finished product. We've received dozens and dozens of misused or old, beat-up units in our shop over the years, and restored many of them to their former glory. If it's financially feasible and you have the means, it's a much more satisfying feeling to restore them.

I know whoever purchased it is a happy camper and good luck to you in the future.

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds