Campbell Hausfeld compressor pump VT47000

9 years 11 months ago #437 by krustybaguette
Campbell Hausfeld compressor pump VT47000 was created by krustybaguette
I've removed the crankshaft assembly preparing to replace a seized connecting rod. I need to remove crankshaft bearings in order to get the rod off. (small three jaw puller should do the trick.)

However, I'm stumped on how to remove the piston pin from the other end of the connecting rod so I can swap the piston back onto a new connecting rod.

Also, I would welcome suggestions on best method to treat the crankshaft where the old rod had been seized. Since the crankshaft is a polished steel surface and the connecting rod is aluminum I'd guess a little light sanding/polishing should do the trick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 11 months ago #443 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Campbell Hausfeld compressor pump VT47000
As far as the crank is concerned, it's recommended to use emery cloth or other fine wet/dry sandpaper with some valve grinding compound and simply grind off the deposits on the crank shaft journal. This is the method we use for Conrod replacements. Emery cloth is good stuff, and with the compound it should polish up those aluminum deposits on the crank in no time.
As long as you have no gouges or deep cuts in the crank it should certainly be reusable.

As for the Piston Pin, these are typically held in with clip rings or "C-rings". The newer pumps, however, use "spade"-like retainers that look like a "sun" (for lack of a better descriptor) with rays and has 6 little points. You can see this in the attached photo as well. If THIS is the type of retainer you have then it's a one-time use retainer and you would simply take a punch and hammer the Piston Pin out with force. In that case you'd have to replace the Retainers, obviously.

I hope this helps!
- MTR
Attachments:

9 years 7 months ago #672 by dalnelson
Replied by dalnelson on topic Campbell Hausfeld compressor pump VT47000
I have a VT470000 pump that has a lot of hours on it, however, it has always been maintained with good compressor oil and the oil level has always been on full. It has what I believe to be a connecting rod(s)knock that has been gradually getting louder to the point that it has become very noticeable, especially after the pump gets hot. I am considering replacing the connecting rods but I am wondering about crankshaft journal wear. Do you know what the NEW crank journal diameter and the NEW connecting rod big end I.D. should measure so I can determine if the crank is serviceable and the problem can be rectified by replacing one or both connecting rods. Appreciate any light you can shed on this problem

Thanks
David

9 years 7 months ago #676 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Campbell Hausfeld compressor pump VT47000
Per Campbell Hausfeld (who actually makes the unit):

"The journal on the NEW crank is 1.76” in and the biggest part of the rod is 1.89”.
You also may check the top of the rod to make sure it is not egged out by the wrist pin.

I hope this helps!

- MTR

9 years 7 months ago #677 by dalnelson
Replied by dalnelson on topic Campbell Hausfeld compressor pump VT47000
Thank you for your response. Could there be a typo, if the journal is 1.76 and the big end of the rod is 1.89, as you stated, the oil clearance would be .013, which would be excessive and would knock loudly from day one. Could the correct size of the big end of the rod possibly be 1.79, equaling .003 clearance? Even at .003 it seems a little loose for a 1.76 diameter journal .

Appreciate the advice about the small end of the rod possibly worn egg shape., I will check it and the piston/pin for ware, but either way it sounds like I will need a couple of connecting rods at the minimum.

It may be a month before I do this, but I will let the forum know what I find.

Thanks for your help

David

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds