Piston ring installation help!

10 years 2 months ago #338 by kaliona
Replied by kaliona on topic Piston ring installation help!
Thanks for checking MTR. That would save me the trouble of trying to make my own limiter if you do carry the right one. I wish I would have known I could get my compressor parts here. I didn't see my particular model listed under the Craftsman Compressor section so I ended up ordering the parts I needed from Sears. So I had one broken limiter and the other one is slightly bent. Is it supposed to be bent? Or was it bent from years of the piston pumping air through it? I may need to order two if it's supposed to be flat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 2 months ago #339 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Piston ring installation help!
I don't believe it's supposed to be bent, no.
And I did confirm that the VT021500AV Valve Limiter is the correct part for your model. We don't have this model on our site, you're correct, but I confirmed this will fit with the manufacturer rep.

There is also a Valve Kit which includes all Valves and Limiters, part# VT210300AJ which sells for $33.86: www.mastertoolrepair.com/valve-kit-vt210300aj-p-1089.html

Feel free to give us a ring at 757-547-8665 and we'd can get you fixed up with these parts!
- MTR

9 years 6 months ago #687 by Belegarion
Replied by Belegarion on topic Piston ring installation help!
Hi MTR, i am currently installing the vt210300AJ kit you are mentionning in this tread, I made the mistake of thinking all the reeds were the same during disassembly except for the 2 reed limiters which are bent and a lot thicker. now i have 5 reeds that are 0.0080" thick and 4 that are 0.0150" thick. It must have been a packaging error for me to have that many reeds as that but where do they go actually. i seem to have found info that inside the compression chamber, where there are 4 slots, the 2 in the middle and the 2 on the exterior are different thickness but which goes where...

Btw the reed limiters are " bent " in my new kit and the old ones were bent the same way also so i believe it's normal.

Thanks in advance

9 years 6 months ago #688 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Piston ring installation help!
You're right, the retainers are supposed to be bent, that's normal.

Regarding the reed valves you received, it does seem you received a few extra as they are supposed to be a total of 6 reed valves used.

Underneath the Head, the two valves on the outermost locations (either end) are the .008" thick valves, the inner valves will be the .015" thickness valves.

The Valves on top of the Head (under the Valve Cover) are also the .008" thick valves.

You can see an installation diagram on our site by clicking on the below link:

www.mastertoolrepair.com/images/VT210300AJ%20Instructions.pdf

I hope this helps!

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds